14m2-16m2+ of antique Perrusson ceramic encaustic tiles - early 20th century (PC21)
SOLD SOLD SOLD A 14m2 - 16m2 antique ceramic encaustic floor of 14.3cm square tiles manufactured by Perrusson of Saone et Loire, Burgundy in the early part of the twentieth century. This pretty and classical floor has been reclaimed from the reception room of a house in Chalon-sur-Saone, built in 1867, and comes with its original back to back same size border tiles for which six of the eight are present requiring two tiles be mitre cut from spare borders provided. Optionally, should a greater length of border tile be required they can be laid singularly rather than in duplicate.
The pattern is simple and classical, lending itself to options from an entrance hall to a kitchen or large bathroom. The main field tile is a sky blue star on a beige fond and is complimented by a more ornate border tile which adds a dark chocolate brown to the palette. After a professional cleaning the floor reveals a rich time-aged patina as the 1.2m pixel high resolution photographs detail - (we can supply the photos at 5m pixels should you wish to see greater detail) - there are edge nibbles and chips plentyful, all groutable. The surface area of the floor is c.16m2 and there are a couple of square metres of tiles provided as free offcuts for cutting and keying to walls.
Being only 1cm thick and a highly fired cermaic encaustic, they lend themselves particularly well to being used with underfloor heating systems as they will be excellent retainers and distributors of heat. They can also be laid outside of the home; in a conservatory, summer house, as a garden path or on a patio, where high summer and sub zero winter temperatures will not effect the tile.
Tile quantities, give or take one or two:-
Main field tiles - 525+ (10.7m2 / 115 sq ft)
Border tiles - 210 plus 6 corners (4.48m2 / 47 sq ft+) - 31 linear metres / 101 linear feet *
*halve the linear meterage for back to back lay
Plus a large quantity of field and border tile rejects for offcuts - supplied free.
Perrusson – A brief history
Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878). The company was renamed ‘Perrusson son and Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen. The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.