17.5m2 - Early 20th century Perrusson floor with a rich patina
Totalling c.17.5m2 / 188 sq ft. an antique French ceramic floor manufactured by Perrusson Fils Desfontaines Ecuissesin the early twentieth century.
If you are looking for an ornate floor with a rich patina that immediately says ‘120 years old’ this is a candidate floor. Owing to the handmade production of each tile there is tonal variation apparent in the palette, evident in the high-resolution photos of a random section of the floor. Additionally, tile thickness is variable and in the case of a dozen or so tiles there has been an incident during their firing over a hundred year ago of the red hot coke exploding in the kiln and burning into the tile. We have shown examples of these in the photo gallery.
The floor comprises of three separate 17cm sq field tiles with the central blue tile being the anchor. We have also shown that the floor can be laid in another way, excluding this blue field tile and using just two field tiles. There are a small number of same size border tiles available, some 34, insufficient to frame the floor but they could be used to top and tail the floor. Three photos of the floor, pre lifting from its original Burgundian home, close to Chalon-Sur-Saone, are also included in the gallery.
This is potentially a complex design and we would be happy, working from a sketch with key dimensions that you provide, to look without obligation at the best fit aesthetically in the room of your choice. We can also potentially take that to the next stage of producing a computerised floor plan.
Blue floral field tiles – 102 tiles – 2.9m2 / 31 sq ft.
Field tile ‘A’ – 252 tiles – 7.3m2 / 78.5 sq ft.
Field tile ‘B’ – 215 tiles – 6.2m2 / 66.7 sq ft.
Large Borders – 34 tiles plus 3 corner tiles – 1.1m2 / 11.8 sq ft or 6.3 linear metres / 20.6 linear feet.
Ceramiques Perrusson, Ecluses - A brief history...
Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878).
The company was renamed ‘Perrusson Fils et Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen. We have included some photographs below of the factory both recently and from the period of its peak.
The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.